The American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting the orthodontist around age seven, at which time your child will have a mix of baby and adult teeth.
At this early stage, it will be easier for Dr. Buttram to diagnose and correct any tooth or jaw problems your child has, in a more timely and efficient manner and without surgery.
Early treatment allows your orthodontist to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb-sucking and help improve minor speech problems
For parents, it's not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment.
Here are a few things to look for that may mean your child needs to see an orthodontist:
- Early/late loss of baby teeth
- If your child has a hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age 7 or 8
We know it can be a little daunting for kids and even their parents to imagine orthodontic treatment in their immediate future. But gone are the days of painful, lengthy processes. At Dr. Buttram’s office, we each make it our personal mission to get to know you, your child, and the rest of your family, making each visit a pleasant one. Our goal is to have your child look forward to his or her visits, and keep the entire process a smooth one for you.
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.
“Dr. Buttram’s office is amazing. I love the environment of his freshly built office. With each visit, I feel more and more like a valued patient. I love the “All About Me” sheet each patient gets to fill out when they join. He even takes the time to go over it with you. Thank you Dr. Buttram and staff!”Jordan